When working on home remodeling projects, we know that water can be one of the most damaging elements for your home. Water damage can be costly and time-consuming. It’s important to take care of the problem right away to avoid making the problem worse or making a new problem.
What You Can Do…
Look out for the signs of a roof leak, a damaged water heater or a plumbing problem so you can take care of the issue right away.
Our friends at Westways Magazine have put together a list of things you can do to protect your home.
- Ceilings & Walls – Watch for changes of color or soft spots in your ceiling and walls. These may be signs of a roof leaking. (see photo)
- Eaves – Keep your rain gutters clean and clear of leaves and other debris. Rainwater can damage eaves if the water gets trapped.
- Kitchen & Bathrooms – Check for dampness in your kitchen and bathroom cabinets and look for water leaking at plumbing joints.
- Grout & Caulking – If your grout or caulking is cracking this means you do not have a water tight seal.
- Mold – Some mold in high humidity areas, like your bathroom, can be a common occurrence. Take care of the problem with a solutions of 50/50 water and bleach. If the mold keeps coming back have a specialist come out and look at the area.
Whatever you do, have your water damage problem taken care of before it becomes an even bigger problem.
Source: Westways Magazine, January/February 2014
#waterdamage #mold #plumbing #leaks